COVID-19 Update: Although the Gould Library building remains closed, the library staff continue our commitment to support the teaching and research needs of the Carleton community. Information on remote access to library resources and services will be updated regularly on the Remote Resources and Guidance for Library Users page and this FAQ. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need additional assistance.
Gould Library's Tourism Data Resources and Statistics
Survey data on the daily travel behavior of Americans, funded by the U.S. government. Data is available for 2009, 2001, 1995, 1990, and 1983. All years of the survey including 1977 and 1969 are available from ICPSR.
Find statistics for inbound and outbound travel, including visitation by country of residency, destinations visited, and balance of trade (receipts and exports/payments) to the mid-1990s. Top states, cities, regions visited in the U.S. U.S. ports of departure. Destinations selected.
The World Bank's World Development Indicators collects the following measures:
- International tourism, expenditures (% of total imports)
- International tourism, expenditures (current US$)
- International tourism, number of arrivals
- International tourism, number of departures
- International tourism, receipts (% of total exports)
- International tourism, receipts (current US$)
Note: We also have a print companion to WDI in the library.