You'll probably want to install the "Capture Reference" bookmarklet and the "Cite While You Write" plug-in.
Find these in the downloads page in EndNote Online.
Adding references to your EndNote library
Web of Knowledge and other Clarivate databases allow Direct Export to EndNote Online
- As you find relevant sources in Web of Knowledge or similar databases, mark them by clicking the check-box next to the record.
- When you're finished searching, at the top of your result list select "Save to EndNote Online" from the menu. Then be sure to save the "Full Record."
A few databases allow you to search them through the "Collect" Tab in EndNote Online
- Use the "Online Search" section of Endnote Online's "Collect" tab and select the research database you wish to use. (You may have to first choose databases to be your "favorites" using the link next to listed databases.)
NOTE: Databases that have been configured to work at Carleton have "CC" after the database name.
- Conduct your search and check the boxes next to any item you want to save.
- Above your search results, use the "Add to group" menu to save selected references to your EndNote library.
For all other research databases...
Follow the "Import via Downloaded File" method from the Adding to Your Library tab above.
Citing your references in your papers using EndNote Online
Cite While You Write (CWYW) from EndNote Web:
College lab computers are not equipped to supply you with the EndNote Online CWYW toolbar in Microsoft Word. To include citations in your paper using EndNote Online, follow the instructions listed at www.myendnoteweb.com under Help > Format Paper. Note that if your style calls for citation of specific page numbers, you will have to type those in after the formatting process is complete.
Using Endnote with Microsoft Word
On your own computer (not a Carleton lab computer), you can set up Microsoft Word with toolbars for both the EndNote Desktop and EndNote Online versions of this software follow the instructions on the EndNote support page for the CWYW Toolbar.
- Be sure to delete any EndNote files you find in the Word startup folder and replace them with the files that you can download from that support page.
- Once this is done, you can toggle back and forth between the toolbar for the EndNote Application and EndNote Web by following these instructions.
Using the Endnote Online CWYW Toolbar
- With your Word document open, place the cursor in the location where the citation should appear.
- Click the Find Citation(s) button in the EndNote Online toolbar. Or from the Tools menu, select EndNote Online then Find Citation(s). The Find Citation(s) dialog will appear.